By boston |
An Andover home is a ‘total loss’ after a Monday night fire
Two adult residents of an Andover home that caught fire Monday night escaped safely. Their house, however, was destroyed.
Andover Fire Chief Michael Mansfield called the home a “total loss,” according to The Boston Globe.
Firefighters noticed “heavy flames” in the back of the Bundrett Avenue house when they arrived around 10:30 p.m., according to a release from Andover Fire Rescue.
A spokesperson said crews fought the fire from the outside because it was particularly aggressive and the people inside had already evacuated. The spokesperson said this kind of defensive decision is usually made when it’s not likely the house can be saved.
Crews continued to douse the house with water through early Tuesday morning, and fire investigators were still on scene Tuesday at 2:30 p.m., the spokesperson said.
Andover Fire Rescue and the Massachusetts Fire Marshal’s Office will investigate the cause of the fire once debris is removed, according to the release.
One firefighter on scene was transported to a local hospital for a lower body injury but has since been released.
Officials estimated the 5,000-square-foot home sustained $2.7 million in damage.